[Ads-l] Adage: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch

W Brewer brewerwa at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 29 16:24:45 UTC 2016

For most of my time as a teacher, I was able to evade administrative duties
by insisting on the primacy of my research projects. But several times I
was bullied into chairing some meaningless subcommittee or other. The
department always provided greasy biandangs to the attendees. I dubbed my
meetings The FREE LUNCH Committee, and since the administration paid
absolutely no attention whatsoever to us, I could include discussion topics
like "Teaching is War", applying the wisdom of Sun Tzu to the EFL
classroom. (This was reported admiringly in the departmental newsletter,
with photos.) More than once, the department paid for beer & pizza to be
brought in. It was a long struggle, but in the end, I was left alone to do
my research unmolested. Believe it or not.