[Ads-l] fuck them

Geoffrey Steven Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Mon Aug 29 19:56:21 UTC 2016

You need to read the classic article

Dong, Q. P. 1973[1992 reprint] English sentences without overt grammatical subject, published in Studies out in left field, edited by, among others, Arnold of this list. Although it's tongue in cheek, and extremely crude, it also makes a clear syntactic case (using the syntactic argumentation of the time) that these are not imperatives.

It can be found at

https://www.google.com/#q=english+sentences+without+overt+grammatical+subject

and is also still available from Benjamins, who republished it in the nineties.
I believe Larry has a (pswaydonymish) article in there too.

Geoff

 Geoffrey S. Nathan
 WSU Information Privacy Officer
 Professor, Linguistics Program
 http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
 +1 (313) 577-1259

 Nobody at Wayne State will EVER ask you for your password. Never send it to anyone in an email, no matter how authentic the email  looks.