[Ads-l] Quote: If you remember the =?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=9960s=2C_you_really_weren=E2=80=99t_?=there

Mon Aug 29 21:32:57 UTC 2016

LH wrote:
> As Geoff says, 1973 is the usual pub. date given but the copyright note
> in my  copy says 1971.  As Wavy Gravy sort of said, if you can remember
> accurate dates from that era, you weren't there.

LH seems to be referring to a remark that I examined on the QI website.

If You Remember the ’60s, You Really Weren’t There
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/05/07/remember-1960s/

(Arguably, the 1960s era extended into the early 1970s.) Stephen
Goranson found the earliest germane citation in the "Los Angeles
Times" on June 13, 1982:

[Begin excerpt]
EXIT LINE: Comedian Charlie Fleischer observes: "If you remember the
’60s, you really weren’t there."
[End excerpt]

The most interesting and enjoyable event occurred after this
information was posted. Charles Fleischer saw the article, and he left
a comment expressing gratitude for the ascription.

[Begin excerpt]
Comment Poster: Charles Fleischer
Date: March 1, 2012 at 2:06 am
Thank you for providing the truth.
[End excerpt]

(Note, I have not authenticated the identity of the author of the
comment, but I think it probably was the comedian.)

Additional evidence would be welcome,
Garson