[Ads-l] "slave"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 31 18:22:09 UTC 2016

My further opinion is, because Key was writing on board a British warship
while watching the very bombardment his poem was about, and since the vast
majority of British soldiers, sailors, sympathizers (many of whom fled to
Canada) and anti-American politicians were *not* black, that it is a
considerable stretch to insist that he was consciously gloating over the
deaths of freed slaves while employing a familiar oratorical phrase.

IMHO, mind you.

JL