[Ads-l] "slave"

Salikoko S. Mufwene s-mufwene at UCHICAGO.EDU
Thu Sep 1 01:10:58 UTC 2016

Originally the term /American/ did not even apply to all White
colonists. It was used exclusively for English colonists (from England).
Then also, the White colonists lived in segregated communities. The
English colonies included several mini national colonies. Remember also
that the American Revolution did not secure Independence for all people
who resided in the American colonists either. The enslaved Africans were
not considered Americans during the colonial period, even if they were
locally born. There was of course a distinction between locally born and
African born "slaves," which corresponded to "Creole" and "Bozal" slaves
in Iberian colonies, but these terms were not used in English American
colonies (although creolists have generalized the application of the
terms geographically). In fact the term /American/ was invented or
claimed by English colonists, because they despised the term "Creole,"
which was also used for locally-born White colonists in Iberian
colonies. I believe they also wanted privileges that they did not want
share with immigrants from continental Europe either.

Sali.

Salikoko S. Mufwene                    s-mufwene at uchicago.edu
The Frank J. McLoraine Distinguished Service Professor of Linguistics and the College
Professor, Committee on Evolutionary Biology
Professor, Committee on the Conceptual & Historical Studies of Science
University of Chicago                  773-702-8531; FAX 773-834-0924
Department of Linguistics
1115 East 58th Street
Chicago, IL 60637, USA
http://mufwene.uchicago.edu/