[Ads-l] one of the only?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Sep 1 01:00:48 UTC 2016

I think "one of the only [musicians]" has been around for awhile, like it or not, although objectively it does seem a bit silly.  My speculation is that it was infused by both "one of the few [musicians] and "one of the only n [musicians]", as in "Sammy Sosa was one of the only 4 batters ever to hit more home runs than Babe Ruth in a single season", conveying both that there were [surprisingly/noteworthily] only 4 and than Sosa was one of them.

LH