[Ads-l] Triple negative

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 1 20:53:13 UTC 2016

The essential meaning seems clear (though the negative phrasing changes the direction causation to a possible causation): I think that because Ryan ran a strong campaign, this has happened.

Perhaps the correct utterance is this:
If Ryan had not run a strong campaign, I don’t think that any of this would have happened.

If so, the “I do not think” could be a production error due to the complexity of the grammar.

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA