[Ads-l] cuss word euphemisms

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 1 21:19:05 UTC 2016

In that post, Zwicky mentions that “get out” is "not always understood by others in the way intended.”

FWIW “Shut up” is similar. There’s an episode of _Friends_ titled "The One With Rachel’s Big Kiss” in which Winona Ryder’s character Melissa uses “shut up” to mean “wow” but Jennifer Aniston’s character Rachel doesn’t care for it and perhaps doesn’t understand it at first. I don’t know that this expression is still in use.

http://www.echostar.pl/~tomszw/friends/skrypty/07/720a.html <http://www.echostar.pl/~tomszw/friends/skrypty/07/720a.html>

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA

\