[Ads-l] Meese - 1878

David Champion dgc.ads at BIKESHED.US
Fri Dec 9 02:48:50 UTC 2016

In the 1970s, Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) developed a
new minicomputer named VAX, for "Virtual Address eXtension".  It
became common to refer to multiples of these as "vaxen".  (Cf.
http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/V/VAXen.html)

In the 1980s and '90s, as minis gave way to micros, which were fruitful
and multiplied, and filled the earth and subdued it, it became common
to refer to one simply as a "box": "Now this box here holds the e-mail,
and that box is the file server."  In a nod to the DEC minicomputer, the
plural of "box" is "boxen".

David Champion • dgc at bikeshed.us