[Ads-l] Query from New York Times on "Sounds good."

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Dec 10 01:06:27 UTC 2016

> On Dec 9, 2016, at 5:50 PM, Arnold M. Zwicky <zwicky at STANFORD.EDU> wrote:
>
>> On Dec 9, 2016, at 1:46 PM, Ben Zimmer <bgzimmer at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Paging Arnold Zwicky... sounds like a case of the Recency Illusion,
>> Frequency Illusion, and Adolescent Illusion all wrapped up in one.
>>
>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__itre.cis.upenn.edu_myl_languagelog_archives_002407.html&d=CwIFAg&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=wFp3X4Mu39hB2bf13gtz0ZpW1TsSxPIWYiZRsMFFaLQ&m=JuPZkjf1fmSMBIZZnzwc6fd04C6B-zTs6CR2f9glJIg&s=7gt9vNTj5G6L2YXm0tol_gf2MUd4Xquv5tIzUooWMY8&e=
>
> yup.
>

>> On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 4:36 PM, Cohen, Gerald Leonard <gcohen at mst.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear ads-l colleagues,
>>>
>>> Would anyone be able to help Jane Karr (New York Times editor) with her
>>> query
>>> below?  Any assistance would be much appreciated.
>>>
>>> G. Cohen

One additional factor: the smart phone.  If you begin your message with the word “Sounds” (which the phone will helpfully upper-case for you), the Three Suggestions (at least on the iPhone 5s) will include “good” as the second word.  The same is true, unsurprisingly, for messages beginning with subjectless “Looks”, and also for those with “Tastes”, and “Feels”, although not “Smells”, for which the suggestions are “so”, “like”, and “of”.  This is a bit puzzling to me, since I can easily imagine writing “Looks good” if someone sends me a photo or “Sounds good” in many messaging contexts (it is, after all, my son’s default text message, in its entirety), but it’s harder to imagine circumstances in which I’d be sending a message that begins “Feels good” or “Tastes good”, although I concede I’m not in the habit of texting in the middle of activities that would elicit such a comment.

LH