[Ads-l] Injia

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 15 13:46:44 UTC 2016

"Gunga Din," the locus classicus, was written about a dozen years after the
_Punch_ satire.

"Injun," of course, is even more obsolete than "Inja." (Even in my
childhood we said, "Indian giver" alongside "Honest Injun!" [translations
on request]). Come to think of it, British writers never spelled the Asian
version as "Injun," or did they?

But they must have said it a lot.

JL

JL