[Ads-l] Someone philosophically asks:

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Dec 22 04:59:12 UTC 2016

> On Dec 21, 2016, at 11:45 PM, Kate Svoboda-Spanbock <katesvobodaspanbock at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> Maybe it isn’t intent exactly but there does seem to be a pointedness of some kind when you split it that doesn’t seem to be there when you don’t.
>
> Is it possible that the examples you use - trying and happening - are so strong in their relationship to intent that they color it?
>
> What about ‘not wanting to go’ and ‘wanting to not go’? Doesn’t the latter seem stronger? Or ‘not having to go’ and ‘having to not go’?

Hey, wait a minute—you’re moving the goalposts.  “Not wanting to go” is an instance of what’s often called “neg-raising”; while the verb “want” is negated, the negation belongs semantically to the lower clause. (Some argue that the negation originates in the embedded clause and “raises” to the main clause, hence the name.)  This is different from both of the examples we were talking about earlier, which would in the case of “want” be represented by “wanting not to go” and “wanting to not go”.  It’s the latter two that don’t seem to involve a difference in intent.  Neg-raising is a phenomenon that applies to some predicates (like “want”, “believe”, and “think”) and not to others (like “try” or, in your example, “have to”), for reasons discussed extensively by linguists.  In the case of “have to”, there’s only one position the embedded or subordinate clause negation can occupy:  “You have to not go”. In this case, “You have not to go” is impossible for most U.S. English speakers.  And “You don’t have to go” involves main clause negation and the meaning is entirely different—denying the necessity of doing something as opposed to imposing necessity to avoid doing something.

When the [VERB1 not to VERB2] and [VERB1 to not VERB2] are both possible, as with “happen”, “try”, “want”, or even “say” (He said not to go/He said to not go), the difference between the two versions is very subtle—for those who don’t object to splitting the infinitive.  If you’re bringing main clause negation into the picture [not VERB1 to VERB2], it’s a very different picture.

LH