[Ads-l] Facebookery: _homeworks_ as a count-noun

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 23 16:47:06 UTC 2016

It’s wrong to me, but I recall graduate students discussing the use of “homework” as a count noun about a decade ago.

The “how else” is “homework assignments” but I admit it sounds a little odd when used by a teacher to refer to each student submission.

On November 18, 1996, Jonathan Swift cites Eric Bakovic using the word “homeworks” on this list (http://www.americandialect.org/americandialectarchives/june98.txt <http://www.americandialect.org/americandialectarchives/june98.txt>).

Most spellcheck programs allow you to add words, so it should be fairly easy to eliminate the problem of your software flagging it.

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA