[Ads-l] Question from family member

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 23 20:04:33 UTC 2016

It evidently stems from a vaudeville-era joke making fun of someone
standing around, staring and doing nothing. When it appeared on the HBO
show "Boardwalk Empire," Angela Tung wrote about it on the Wordnik blog and
provided a cite from 1917 ("Tom Slade at Temple Camp").

http://blog.wordnik.com/boardwalk-empire-our-favorite-words-from-the-final-season