[Ads-l] Antedating of "Nymphomaniac"

Mon Feb 1 05:29:41 UTC 2016

Here is a citation for the noun "nymphomaniac" in 1828.

Date: August 1828
Title: The American Journal of the Medical Sciences,
Volume: 2, Number: 4
Article Number: 4
Article Title: 0n Intemperance considered as a Disease and susceptible of Cure
Article Author: Joan H Kain M.D. of Shelbyville, Tenn.
Quote Page 201 and 292
Database: Google Books Full View

https://books.google.com/books?id=wPxAAQAAMAAJ&q=%22nymphomaniac%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
The nymphomaniac too, has received a no less share of our condolence;
and instead of reasoning with her disorder, or holding up her case to
the view of mankind as an astonishing instance of lust and immodesty,
we have used the lancet, and directed such general remedies and local
applications as are calculated to relieve the disorder. The deluded
maniac is often impelled, by an insatiable revenge, to imbrue his
hands in the blood of his friend; but the time has passed by when for
this he is punished with chains, a dungeon, or a gibbet.
[End excerpt]

Garson