[Ads-l] Antedating of "Antimatter"

Peter Morris peter_morris_1 at BLUEYONDER.CO.UK
Mon Feb 1 05:31:35 UTC 2016

Here's a few uses of the term. Whether it is used in the modern sense, I don't know.
It doesn't seem likely, except for the last one.

... unstable equilibrium is established - the matter collecting on one side,
the anti-matter on the other - until two worlds are formed separating
from each other, never to unite again. Matter and anti-matter may further
coexist in bodies of small mass. Such compound mixtures flying hither and
thither through space, coming during their journey into the sphere of influence
of our sun, would. exhibit a curious phenomenon.

Sir Norman Lockyer, 1898

http://tinyurl.com/htovd8r
http://tinyurl.com/hu2zhr6

Hence, matter of one kind would tend to collect together and drive away the
 " anti-matter " - a good reason for our remaining in ignorance of its existence
hitherto.

1912-3
http://tinyurl.com/jzpnhxf

For the sinks one had to assume a kind of negative or anti-matter. This was
the difficulty which kept those old theories of matter in the realm of fantastic
speculation, although the mathematics was perfect. Now it is only necessary
 to assume that ...

1934
http://tinyurl.com/z3u3ndr

Ever since the discovery of the positron-the opposite number of the
electron- physicists have speculated about the possible existence of anti-matter.
If an anti-electron could exist, why not an anti-proton ...

1949   http://tinyurl.com/hhtnywu