[Ads-l] OT - Not the OED

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Tue Feb 2 11:30:33 UTC 2016

Ben,

Thanks for pulling me up that it's three (free) example uses per *sense*
rather than per word -- an important distinction.  Though in the course of
their response to the issue, ODO didn't draw attention to this, or even note
that there were supplementary examples included in the various entries,
albeit only appearing if you click on a drop-down menu.  Odd, as it would
have made their position stronger in their response to the twitterfury which
recently occurred.

The relative wealth of example usages (whatever reservations one has about
them) is one of the strengths of the ODO, as is the ability to shift between
the British and US English dictionaries, to note different nuances of usage
between the two registers.  Though that does raise the point that it would
be useful if the example sentences were at least tagged as, perhaps, "US" vs
"UK".  Sometimes usages are tagged as "US" or "UK", but not the examples
themselves. The question here, I suppose, is just how much metadata is
useful, and to which enquirer, as well as how (and when) such metadata
should be signalled.  Even the bare date of the origin of the example would
be useful.

When it comes to 20 examples for the Premium version as against only 3 for
the free version, I wonder how useful the further examples would be?  My
feeling would be that, as things stand, an enquirer would move from the
three uncontextualised examples in the free version, to google, for further
contextualised examples, rather than simply adding more bare instances of
use, which is presumably (correct me if I'm wrong) all that the Premium
subscription adds in this area.  (Access to further dictionaries, which a
Premium subscription also includes, is another matter.)

In the course of following the newspaper reports of twitterstorm over "rabid
feminists", I became intrigued over the exact relation of the Oxford
Dictionary of English, originally published in physical form in 1998, with
later revisions, and the on-going version which appears in Oxford
Dictionaries Online.  The substance of the current entry on "rabid" in ODO
is taken verbatim from the ODE, and as it stands is identical to the version
which had originally appeared in 1998.  The ODO adds three further example
sentences.  Presumably the original ODE definition (1998) of "rabid", and
the illustration chosen -- "rabid feminists" -- was based on the entire
corpus as it then stood.  But the ODO reflects a *different* corpus,
containing further material from 1998 to the present.  As an inspection of
google Ngrams suggests that the use of the term "rabid feminist" peaked in
the 1990s, then showed a marked decline in frequency of use, this would seem
to be relevant.  It raises (in my mind) two separate questions.  One would
be how far the on-going revisions to the ODO are taking this into account,
while the other would be that it would be useful if such significant changes
in use were signalled in some way in the ODO, perhaps with something
analogous to Ngram, but drawing on the corpus of material which the ODO was
based on rather than the material available to google.

Two constraints are obviously at play here -- the original ODE was
constrained in the amount of material it could present by the nature of its
existence as a physical artefact, while just how much scrutiny can be
carried out is obviously limited to the amount of time and attention ODO can
devote to this matter.

You say:

"As the ODO is not a historical dictionary like the OED,
there's less of an imperative to supply the date and provenance for
each sentence (though all that information is stored in the back-end
metadata and could conceivably be shared on the front end)."

Indeed, and a failure to notice this crucial distinction, both on the part
of several journalists writing on the matter and readers commenting on the
published pieces, was characteristic of the entire furore over "rabid
feminists".  But if we accept that the OED is an historical dictionary in
contrast to the ODO as a dictionary of current usage, how adequate is the
ODO as it stands, and could it be improved?  As it stands, it seems to me
that the absence of *any* (well, virtually any) metadata undermines the
usefulness of the ODO, both for casual enquirers and serious researchers.

Further, what metadata is held?  The corpus of material on which the ODO
draws contains (usefully) on both phonographic and orthographic material, I
think in the ratio of 1/10, and the orthographic material ranges from
originally printed material though all kinds of on-line communication.
Though I don't know whether Twitter feeds are, or should be, included, or
whether the metadata signals the relation of addressor/addressee -- whether,
for example, the illustration reflects a situation where a man is speaking
to a woman, or vice versa.

The fundamental question is perhaps what metadata should be included in the
ODO presentation of the words it deals with, and how such material could be
usefully presented.  One possibility might be whereby a Premium subscription
gives access to a range of metadata not included in the freely available
ODO.

[As an aside, if the OED corresponds (in Saussurean terms) to a diachronic
perspective, while the ODO represents a synchronic moment, what range of
time does the synchronic moment encompass?  I once woke up in the middle of
the night realising to my horror that I couldn't think of an adequate answer
to the question of how long a synchronic moment lasted.]

Robin Hamilton