[Ads-l] back to square 1

Peter Morris peter_morris_1 at BLUEYONDER.CO.UK
Thu Feb 4 06:50:04 UTC 2016

This one's an old favourite that people have been discussing for years.
Popular theories for its origin include radio sports commentry and board
games. As far as I know, the earliest current cite is 1952.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/back-to-square-one.html

I believe I've found two earlier cites.

The first is a  literal use of the phrase in a description of Snakes & Ladders,
which would  support the board game origin. It appears to be from 1904,
usual disclaimers apply.

The Juvenile Missionary Herald,
Baptist Missionary Society 1904

http://tinyurl.com/zloxfy6
http://tinyurl.com/zkff2mp

When your turn comes round again, should you score eight points and so
reach square 12 which is called "Faith" you would then rise at once  by
means of a ladder to the original  square "Manhood's estate" . Beyond this
there are seven such ladders leading  to the seven heavens of the Hindus
respectively ...  "Murder" or simply "Killing" takes you right back to square 1,
"a Tiger";  84, " Anger," leads to 13, "a Pig " ; 92, " Greed," to 34, "a
Monkey"; 95, "Pride," to 26, "a Horse" ; and 99, " Desire," leads  down
to 29," a Cat." The teaching contained in this last thought is thoroughly Hindu.

The second seems to be the  figurative sense of starting again. The use of capital
letters is puzzling, though. Maybe it's a proper noun, and refers in the story to an
actual place

Saigon Singer
Van Wick Mason 1946

http://tinyurl.com/jbgp9do

"And now, mon Commandant," she said brightly, "I'm over my crise de
nerfs. You may consider me right back in Square One."