[Ads-l] "Katy, bar the door" (1872-1887)

Sun Feb 7 02:13:50 UTC 2016

Great citations, Bonnie.

Below is an 1887 citation that seems to support the connection of the
phrase to a song. A woman says she will sing 'Katie, bar the door'
while preventing unwanted visitors from entering her house. (That is
my interpretation.)

Date: October 12, 1887
Newspaper: Utica Morning Herald
Newspaper Location: Utica, New York
Quote Page 3, Column 3
Database: Fulton History

[Begin excerpt]
"No, Mr. Kelly," she said, "You will entertain no
cabinet ministers or presidents nor first ladies
in this house while your daughter is being
married like a kitchen girl in the house of a
stranger. Act like a father, give your
daughter such a wedding as she deserves,
poor dear, in her own home, or when your
great friends come to lunch with you they'll
hear me singing: 'Katie, bar the door.'"
[End excerpt]

Below is tangentially related citation in 1850. A line in a song that
requests a "jolly old man" named "Jock" to "get up and bar the door".