[Ads-l] Gentlemen of the Pivot

Sun Feb 7 04:03:26 UTC 2016

I revisit a topic of about a year and a half ago.

Here are two more instances of the term "gentlemen of the Pivot", meaning
watch-maker.  Both are from advertisements from Isaac Heron, a watch-maker
in New-York just before and during the Revolution, as was the instance I
posted in 2014.
(Inasmuch as Heron was a vehement Royalist, I doubt that he was still in
business after the British occupation of the city ended.)

            It is high time the following watches were returned him, viz.
H. Clay, London, 3630 --- Thomas Hills, London, 11,148, and a large old
one, John Hanwell, London, missing -- all in silver cases.  The brethren of
the Pivot are requested to stop them, or either, if offered for repair or
sale.

            N-Y Gazette; and the W Mercury, December 28, 1772, p. 2, col. 4

            Stolen the 13th inst. an old Watch, maker's name Charleston,
No. 708; the cases gold, and much bruised, with a steel chain, and two
seals, one a Scotch pebble, with a cypher C. C. the other of silver, with a
coat of arms, crest, two arms supporting a Scalp.  Isaac Heron will give
Four Pounds for a discovery of the watch or thief, both would be most
agreeable; the gentlemen of the Pivot are requested to keep a look-out.

            The person who borrowed the gilt and shagreen watch, name,
Hope, London, 2458, is desired to return it immediately.

            Coffee-House Bridge, Jan 14, 1778.

            Royal Gazette, January 17, 1778, p. 3, col. 3.

I note the tasteful seal that ornaments this watch, (the second of the two
described).

Here I give a bow to the OED.  Heron indulged in a rant against
"Blue-skins" in 1777: "cursed varlets!", despised and detested, and to be
contrasted to "Royalists, or real patriots".  I was quite looking forward
to posting this here, "not in the OED!" -- but it is in the OED, with
Heron's use being the earliest (of only two) appearances.  Well done.

Meanwhile, it does appear the Heron was the only person ever to call his
brother watch-makers "gentlemen of the Pivot".

GAT

--
George A. Thompson
The Guy Who Still Looks Stuff Up in Books.