[Ads-l] Zilch

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 9 15:57:57 UTC 2016

Cf.

1928 Ed Sullivan in _Seattle Daily Times_ (Jan. 17) 18: Instead he told
you, and he told me, and he told Joe Zilch, sitting in the third row.

1930 _Trenton Sunday Times-Advertiser_ (Oct. 12) 28: Looked like Joe
Doakes, Joe Zilch, or any other busher.

1934 _American Speech_ (Apr.) 159: Character Names in the Comic
Strips...Unk Pribble, Calvin Q. Twirp, Joe Zilch, [etc.]

1938 Lewis L. Laws _Invisible Stripes_ (N.Y.: Farrar & Rinehart) 114: This
an' that happened. Joe said this, an' Zilch said that.

1946  _Calif. Folklore Qly._  V (Oct. 1946) 385: American Naval "Slanguage"
in the Pacific in 1945 ...Soon _Joe Handlebars_ made his appearance as the
average fashionable youth. He was immediately followed by _Joe Zilch_ , an
anonymous or eccentric person.

1964 in _Time_  (Jan. 1, 1965) 56: A _zilch_ is a total loss, and so is a
_wimp_, _dimp_, ..._gink_ [etc.].

As Peter suggests, "Zilch/ Ziltch" is an actual U.S. surname.

("Joe Handlebars" is not findable elsewhere.)

Peter's 1956 ex. occurs in a naval aviation context.  Similarly, An Air
Force F-100D Super Sabre jet fighter with the "buzz number"  (fuselage ID)
 "000" is said to have been nicknamed "Triple Zilch" in 1957.  The name was
certainly in print by 1960:

*http://tinyurl.com/jdbcevh <http://tinyurl.com/jdbcevh>*

JL