[Ads-l] Zilch

Tue Feb 9 17:56:09 UTC 2016

Here are two more examples of "Minnie Zilch" being used as a referent
for an unremarkable or undistinguished individual, I think.

Date: February 2, 1932
Newspaper: The Post-Crescent
Newspaper Appleton, Wisconsin
Column: Post Mortem
Quote Page 6, Column 3
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt]
There's one very wonderful thing about this cold weather. Not for
days, now, has anyone seen accounts of Gus Wortle of Cowhoofus,
Illinois, picking strawberries in his back yard or Minnie Zilch of
Powatchie, Iowa, clipping the surplus daffodil blossoms in her garden.
Things were getting so that the calendar was just a bunch of hip hip
hooey.
[End excerpt]