[Ads-l] on = 'the fault or responsibility of'

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Wed Feb 10 22:12:41 UTC 2016

From: Laurence Horn:
My favorite is the marital "on" at 22:
1870   R. S. Brooke Story of Parson Annaly xii. 96   The boy is a =
sweetheart of our Moll's, and wants to get married on her.

This seems to be a predominantly Scottish usage.  SLD has cites from 1707:

     MAIRRY, v. Also ma(i)ry, mer(r)y. Gen.Sc. forms and usages of Eng.
marry.

     1. With on (Gen.Sc.), upon or with = Eng. to.
         Sc. 1705  R. Wodrow Analecta (M.C.) I. 76:
         She was maried on that worthy and usefull Christian and elder here.

Robin Hamilton