[Ads-l] to cake-bake - BrE

Arnold M. Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Sun Feb 14 07:57:56 UTC 2016

> On Feb 12, 2016, at 8:26 PM, Benjamin Barrett <mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> Subject:  to cake-bake - BrE-
>
> I stumbled across an example of this verb from across the Pond on season one, episode one of "The Great British Bake Off."
>
> The citation is at 29:50 (http://bit.ly/1oc7alC) "began cake-baking" but slightly before that is an instance of "cake-baking" as a noun, which perhaps primes the narrator.

What you have here is not yet the verb "to cake-bake", but just the PRP synthetic compound "cake-baking" (you can also find the agentive synthetic compound "cake-baker").  From these you could get a back-formed verb, in the BSE form "to cake-bake" or in various finite forms: "they cake-bake", "cake-bakes", or "cake-baked". These are hard to find, but I did get one hit (also British, for what it's worth):

https://saguwe.wordpress.com

Scouts and Guides at UWE – UWE Bristol - University of the West of England
"Freshers Camp" 10/6/15:
So Kate, Harry and Beatrice hopped in the car and went to asda to get some cake mix. Then around an hour later they returned with cake mix and icing. They made the cake mix and dished it onto small metal containers and put them into the camp oven. And so the cooking began.
Derek: Well they cake baked.. so triumph but it tasted really quite a bit smokey.. so fail.

Arnold