[Ads-l] fu lion - 1913, foo dog - 1915, foo lion - 1918

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Feb 17 16:31:29 UTC 2016

I get the distinction, but the terminology seems uncertain or fluid, depending on whether "shaggy dog story" is a natural kind.  From the wiki entry on "feghoot" [I didn't include the last and most relevant line last time):

A story pun (also known as a poetic story joke or Feghoot) is a humorous short story or vignette ending in a pun (typically a play on a well-known phrase) where the story contains sufficient context to recognize the punning humor.  It can be considered a type of shaggy dog story.

So should we consider we a Feghoot to be a SDS? Presumably, in the words of a great American statesman, we could do it but it would be wrong.

LH