[Ads-l] Earliest Use of "Live Long and Prosper" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mullins, Bill CIV (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Thu Feb 18 19:15:39 UTC 2016

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

----

-----

>>> According to my usual W-flavored source for this kind of trivia,
>>>it

>>> was used in the episode Amok Time, which was written by Theodore
>>>Sturgeon (a ranking SciFi writer of the fifties and sixties).
>>>
>>> Geoffrey S. Nathan
>>
>> Also creator of Sturgeon's Law:  "90% of everything is crap".
>>

> This is all quite interesting, but I seem to recall a different genesis, via which
> it was originally a claim by Edmund Wilson, critically assessing the appeal of
> popular mystery novels in a put-down called "Who Cares Who Killed Roger
> Ackroyd?", that 90% of mystery writing (or was it mystery and science fiction
> writing?  that would make more sense in the light of the anecdote) was crud,
> crap, or some equipollent and more or less colorful term.  It was then
> Sturgeon's reply that 90% of ALL writing (or of everything? I don't recall
> how far the generalization went) was crap.

> Can anyone else either con- or disconfirm this version? (Of course
> "Sturgeon's Law" has the same signification on either story, but I prefer mine.)

This
http://www.crazyoik.co.uk/workshop/edmund_wilson_on_crime_fiction.htm

seems to include the Wilson essay, and it while it does disdain detective fiction, it
doesn't have anything about 90% of it being crap.

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED