[Ads-l] (Pop) sociolinguistics of the word "eskimo" in AmE

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Sun Feb 21 05:13:25 UTC 2016

I've been struck by the attraction of "Eskimo" into Christmas-themed
words simply by being associated with snow or cold weather. It's in two
holiday songs that I know of:

"The Christmas Song"
Chestnuts roasting on an open fire,
Jack Frost nipping at your nose.
Yuletide carols being sung by a fire,
and folks dressed up like Eskimos.

"Winter Wonderland"
We'll frolic and play
the Eskimo way
walking in a winter wonderland.

On 2/20/2016 10:27 PM, Chris Waigl wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Chris Waigl <chris at LASCRIBE.NET>
> Subject:      (Pop) sociolinguistics of the word "eskimo" in AmE
>
> This article, from the Alaska Dispatch News, may be of interest for =
> lexicographers and everyone who follows the the word use, register and =
> taboo. =
> http://www.adn.com/article/20160220/confused-about-word-eskimo-it-helps-lo=
> ok-deeper
>
>> =93=94=94
>> But with Eskimo it=92s a bit more complicated. The issue has lasted =
> for decades. In Canada, Inuit replaced Eskimo almost 40 years ago. More =
> than 20 years ago, Sambo Dorough called for getting rid of the word in =
> the Anchorage Daily News. But about 10 years ago I was scolded by a =
> North Slope elder for using Inuit. He said, =93That=92s Canadian. In =
> Alaska we=92re Eskimo.=94
>> =20
>> I asked Sambo Donough [professor of political science at UAA and =
> herself Inupiaq, and a childhood friend of the author=92s] about Alaska =
> Native groups that haven=92t decided themselves what they should be =
> called.
>> =20
>> =93This suggests something really important, Coolie,=94 she said, =
> using my long-discarded nickname from high school. =93To me, this =
> suggests the fact that indigenous communities in Alaska have not had the =
> political and intellectual space to have that conversation. They haven=92t=
>   arrived at a consensus. =85 I think what we=92re seeing, especially =
> amongst the younger generation, is individuals who want to answer that =
> question, and are thinking about their identity as individuals and the =
> collectivity that they are attached to, and in certain areas it is =
> becoming clearer and has crystallized about who we are as Native =
> people.=94
>> =20
>> Cheers to that effort. We need a new synonym for Eskimo. In the =
> meantime, please don=92t take offense.
>> =93=94"
> As someone who lives in Alaska, the issue of being careful in one=92s =
> word choice for ethnic or tribal labels is a very familiar one. And like =
> the author, I feel that while there=92s no good solution that fits every =
> usage need. The word =93Eskimo=94 appears in a number of perfectly =
> ok-to-use compounds (WEIO - the World Eskimo Indian Olympics, which is =
> an (awesome) annual culture-and-sports festival; various federally =
> recognised tribal designations such as the Nome Eskimo Community; eskimo =
> ice cream(*); all these terms are grating to Canadians, as far as I =
> know). It=92s of practical importance. At my own institution, the =
> University of Alaska Fairbanks, nearly 20% of students fall into the =
> =93Alaska Native or American Indian=94 ethnic category. When people from =
> [...]

Dr. Neal Whitman
Lecturer, ESL Composition
School of Teaching and Learning
College of Education and Human Ecology