[Ads-l] Trumpian future conditional

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Mon Feb 22 15:39:29 UTC 2016

I think I'm with the guy you quoted in the LL post. I don't think Trump
meant "will have wished" at some point before the time in question. I
think Trump is saying that at that hypothetical time when Trump is not
president as ISIS have attacked the Vatican, at that time he "will wish"
(or even "will be wishing") that Trump had been elected. In any case,
great response to an eminently blog-post-worthy piece of political language!

Neal

On 2/19/2016 6:11 AM, Ben Zimmer wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Ben Zimmer <bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Trumpian future conditional
>
> In case you missed Donald Trump's response to Pope Francis...
>
> https://www.donaldjtrump.com/press-releases/donald-j.-trump-response-to-the-pope
> "If and when the Vatican is attacked by ISIS, which as everyone knows
> is ISIS's ultimate trophy, I can promise you that the Pope would have
> only wished and prayed that Donald Trump would have been President
> because this would not have happened. ISIS would have been eradicated
> unlike what is happening now with our all talk, no action
> politicians."
>
> I tackle the truly remarkable first sentence in this Language Log
> post, linking back to a 2013 ADS-L discussion of "would have"
> featuring JL, LH, and AZ:
>
> http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=24173
>
> --bgz

Dr. Neal Whitman