[Ads-l] another entry for the "and <<>>in/en" files ("case and

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Feb 23 14:47:11 UTC 2016

> On Feb 23, 2016, at 9:07 AM, James A. Landau <JJJRLandau at netscape.com> wrote:
>

> On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 10:27:24 Zone-0500  Laurence Horn
> <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU> a ecrit:
> <begin quote>
> We've discussed the reanalyses of the kind instantiated under the above
> heading at the eggcorn database, e.g.
>
> tongue and cheek
> hand and glove
> commander and chief
>
> front in center
> puss in boots
> foot in mouth disease [when inadvertent]
>
> [One not listed in ecdb is a favorite of mine, encountered in the wild:
> "black and red fish".  And then there's Chip 'n' Dale furniture.]
> <end quote>
>
> "Chip 'n' Dale" is an obvious pun on Thomas Chippendale (1718 – November 1779), London cabinet-maker and furniture designer.
> It may have been derived from Chip and Dale (usually written "Chip 'n' Dale" presumably to preserve the phonetics of the original), a pair of animated chipmunks from Walt Disney.  One wonders if the Walt Disney organization will sue the furniture company for trademark infringement.  It is theoretically possible for the furniture store to be sued for false advertising for failing to sell authentic Chippendale antiques.

It can be, but it isn't always.  For example:

Frank Lloyd Wright, the master of the Arts and Crafts movement, would approve of every one of these designs! When coupled with quarter sawn oak, you can easily achieve a look made popular by wood working icons  such as Stickley and Chip n' Dale furniture. While these doors are on the more expensive end of the scale, they will ensure that your guests know you did not buy your cabinets at Home Depot!
http://www.cabinetjoint.com/cabinet-door-styles/styles/

Or cf. https://offerupnow.com/item/detail/46536077/hutch-and-side-bar-chip-and-dale which uses "Chip and Dale" and "Chippendale" interchangeably.

(Presumably the Disney cartoon chipmunks were named in honor of the furniture company, rather than the other way around, but not everyone will be aware of this.)

Again, like "kitten caboodle", which is usually a pun but sometimes an eggcorn, depending on the knowledge/beliefs of the writer/speaker.

LH