[Ads-l] RES: 23-Skidoo

David Daniel dad at COARSECOURSES.COM
Tue Feb 23 20:58:29 UTC 2016

Clearly skedaddle, but that is uncontested, right? Problem is 23?
DAD

Enviada em: terça-feira, 23 de fevereiro de 2016 16:02
Para: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Assunto: Re: 23-Skidoo

Poster:       ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 23-Skidoo
---

Here is an instance of "skidoo" in October 1903 being used as an imperative
meaning "leave", I think.

Date: October 4, 1903
Newspaper: The Courier-Journal
Newspaper Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Article: Soldiers On Duty Do Not Wear Suspenders Section 3, Quote Page 2,
Column 6
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt]
"You can get these at the guardhouse, young feller, when you get ready to
leave here. Now, skidoo!"
[End excerpt]

Garson

> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Peter Reitan <pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: 23-Skidoo
> ---------
>
> Most of the earliest examples I could find relate to fast moving boats
> and = cars.

---
Este email foi escaneado pelo Avast antivírus.