[Ads-l] Modern Adage: If the human brain were so simple that we could understand it, we would be so simple that we couldn't. (1977 attributed to Emerson M. Pugh)

Sun Feb 28 01:48:24 UTC 2016

The logic twisting statement in the subject line makes a strong claim
about the infeasibility of one influential approach to artificial
intelligence (AI). Researchers like Ray Kurzweil (now at Google)
believe that AI can be advanced by reverse engineering the brain.
Whether this is true or false, I think the adage is interesting, and
I've been asked to trace it.

Further below are two citations in 1980 that require verification, and
I will be asking for help off list. However, if you would like to
volunteer that would be great; please contact me off list.

The earliest evidence I've located appeared in a 1977 book. The author
credited his father, Emerson M. Pugh, with the saying and stated in a
footnote that his father employed it circa 1938.

[ref] 1977, The Biological Origin of Human Values by George Edgin
Pugh, (Chapter 7: Mysteries of the Mind, epigraph and footnote), Quote
Page 154, Basic Books, New York. (Verified on paper)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
If the human brain were so simple
That we could understand it,
We would be so simple
That we couldn't.
                          Emerson M. Pugh *
[End excerpt]

[Begin excerpt]
* Author's note: Quote from my father around 1938.
[End footnote]

The other candidate for originator of the saying is Lyall Watson.
There is a match in Google Books in a journal in 1980. Immediately
below is the partial data from GB. Further below is conjectural data
that names the article that probably contains the quotation.