[Ads-l] "McRefugee"

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Sat Jan 2 20:49:20 UTC 2016

Not discussed here, I think.  Elsewhere I haven't looked.

Wikipedia is very brief, and claims an origin in Japanese in 2007.

In today's NY Times, http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/02/world/asia/chinas-homeless-find-shelter-under-mcdonalds-golden-arches.html?_r=0 ,we find:
Ding Xinfeng’s eyes blinked open. Dawn had yet to break, but inside a 24-hour McDonald’s restaurant in central Beijing, more than a dozen homeless people had begun their daily routines.
Every night across East Asia, in major cities like Beijing, Hong Kong and Tokyo, an invisible class of people — shut out of shelter systems, scorned by their families, down on their luck — turn to a beacon of Americana for a warm, dry place to sleep.
Often called McRefugees, they vanish at sunrise, some combing their hair with plastic forks before slinking outside into the masses.

Joel