[Ads-l] Another Early Citation for "Big Apple"

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Wed Jan 6 01:56:59 UTC 2016

Barry Popik, whose work on "Big Apple" is legendary, has informed me that there are two cites by John J. Fitz Gerald in the New York Morning Telegraph that are earlier in the month of April 1922 than the Louisville cite dated April 17.

Fred Shapiro

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Shapiro, Fred [fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU]
Sent: Monday, January 04, 2016 12:02 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Another Early Citation for "Big Apple"

Here's a still earlier citation for _Big Apple_ 'New York horse racing circuit.'  I believe this is now the second oldest known citation.  It is interesting that the term is used without explicit explanation:

1922 _Courier-Journal_ (Louisville) 17 Apr. 6 (ProQuest Historical Newspapers)  Jockey Russell McDermott departs for New York tonight.  He became connected with the Madden establishment a week ago and will give the "big apple" a trial for a change.

Fred Shapiro