[Ads-l] Article on Origin of Term "African-American"

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Fri Jan 8 20:21:34 UTC 2016

In the latest installment of my column in the Yale Alumni Magazine, I discuss the earliest known use of the term "African-American."  This has been written up previously by the New York Times, but I dig deeper in this column by consulting with two scholars of African-American history and having them speculate about what kind of person the coiner of the term might have been.

http://yalealumnimagazine.com/articles/4216/the-origin-of-african-american

Fred Shapiro