[Ads-l] Word of the Year 2015: singular "they"

Salikoko S. Mufwene s-mufwene at UCHICAGO.EDU
Sat Jan 9 11:50:49 UTC 2016

Are we likely to see/hear "singular /they/" agree with the verb in the
same way as /he/ and /she/? Is the following construction likely to be
considered acceptable:

/I wonder whether there is a person here that claimed _they knowS_ the
answer.

/Or will "singular /they/" continue to be referentially singular but
syntactically plural?

Sali.

Salikoko S. Mufwene                    s-mufwene at uchicago.edu
The Frank J. McLoraine Distinguished Service Professor of Linguistics and the College
Professor, Committee on Evolutionary Biology
Professor, Committee on the Conceptual & Historical Studies of Science
University of Chicago                  773-702-8531; FAX 773-834-0924
Department of Linguistics
1115 East 58th Street
Chicago, IL 60637, USA
http://mufwene.uchicago.edu/