[Ads-l] A recent revision to the OED's online "the whole nine yards" entry

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Thu Jan 14 15:14:57 UTC 2016

Note that the 1850 citation for "nine yards" (discovered by Richard Bucci), which to me seems clearly to be the same idiom as "whole nine yards," is from Missouri.

Fred Shapiro

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Jonathan Lighter [wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2016 7:41 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: A recent revision to the OED's online "the whole nine yards" entry

> The fifty-year gap between the anecdote and the idiomatic use of the
phrase
 seems to suggest that the anecdote is apparently not the origin of the idi
om.

We simply don't know, and probably will never know, because we have no way
of knowing the oral (as opposed to the journalistic) circulation of the
story after the 1850s when it was no longer "newsworthy."

We certainly don't know the half-life of a newspaper joke in the 19th
century.

What we do know, thanks to Bonny's indefatigable research, is that the
severe restriction of early exx. of the phrase to the Ky.-Ind. border (or,
as the young people say, "the KY/IN border") seems to show its effective
_terminus a quo_.

JL