[Ads-l] Fw: A "tea ..." what?

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Mon Jan 18 17:01:44 UTC 2016

My favorite place for tea, the Deluxe Town Diner in Watertown, Mass., featured prominently in the background of live TV reporting during the hunt for the second Marathon Bomber, has one.  They sometimes serve their tea, which is presented in a pot with a strainer for the leaves, accompanied by a metal bowl.  If the server doesn't bring one, I have to ask -- and explain what I'm asking for.


     ----- Forwarded Message -----
 From: Christopher Philippo <toff at mac.com>
 To: Joel Berson <berson at att.net> 
 Sent: Monday, January 18, 2016 11:36 AM
 Subject: Re: A "tea ..." what?
They seem to be marketed online generally as holders, caddies, or rests.  I like the lattermost term partly because of its similarity to the similar device of a spoon rest and because the other two are ambiguous since they could also be used to refer to containers for unused tea.

I don’t know that many restaurants would have one though!  I suppose I’d ask for a small saucer or bowl, or an extra empty cup.

The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

More information about the Ads-l mailing list