[Ads-l] " Saint Louis linguo [sic]"*

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jan 18 17:06:21 UTC 2016

> On Jan 18, 2016, at 11:52 AM, James A. Landau <JJJRLandau at netscape.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 03:05:34 Zone-0500 Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> scribbled:
>
> <quote>
> from Facebook:
>
> "I was tell my girl about us doing that as kids."
>
> *A phrase that occurs in the rap, _St. Louis Nigga_.
> <end quote>
>
> I suggest the possibility that the rapper in _St. Louis N-wuhd_ edited "telling" to "tell" to fit the meter.
>
> - Jim Landau

On the other hand...

http://www.singleblackmale.org/2012/10/22/the-unfaithful-man-why-do-men-cheat/ <http://www.singleblackmale.org/2012/10/22/the-unfaithful-man-why-do-men-cheat/>
One day we were having an argument about me checking his facebook inbox, emails, etc and i was tell him that privacy is something he ...

https://www.storyshelter.com/question/losing-a-family-member <https://www.storyshelter.com/question/losing-a-family-member>
If he was sitting with me now, I was tell him how sorry I was and that I pray he would understand what I was going through,
[note the counterfactual here]

http://bossip.com/1154049/exclusive-kandi-burruss-reveals-the-secret-to-making-her-climax/Bossip <http://bossip.com/1154049/exclusive-kandi-burruss-reveals-the-secret-to-making-her-climax/Bossip>
Jun 12, 2015 - Shhhhhh. Bol thought I was the only one I have to take a minute and gather my thoughts before going any further. I was tell him you'd better go ...

http://www.ourdesireministries.org/about-hannah.html <http://www.ourdesireministries.org/about-hannah.html>
One, I was helping a customer find the Nuts and Bolts he needed. I told him I would direct him to the Butts and Nolts aisle! Two, there was a customer needing a certain part for his tractor and as I was tell him it is in the "Farm Supply" aisle, he said "part," so my words ended up as in the "Fart Supply aisle." My words get mixed up easily haha!

and so on. Some may be typos, but not all.  Seems like a well-established usage for a number of posters, to judge from Google hits, regardless of metrical considerations.

LH