[Ads-l] Notify NYC - Coastal Flood Products

Guy Letourneau Owner guy1656 at CENTURYLINK.NET
Fri Jan 22 17:36:08 UTC 2016

It sounds like a stratagem in opposition to small-government libertarians who often begin an economic argument something like: "government (in a non-communist country, at least) does not produce a product, it just regulates products and processes within private industry," and this is a way to say 'why, YES, compiling and broadcasting a public safety alert message IS useful and valuable work,' so they chose a word which tries to associate the kind of work to generate a weather map with the kind of work that delivers tangible consumer products to market. Dammit, we meteorologists just as relevant as the engineers who designed next gizmo you buy at a hardware store.

I've also heard people react to weather forecasts as if there were predetermined selections made by higher or ulterior agents: "Why are they having another storm again? - We had one last weekend already!"

Sometimes verb used is 'sending' or 'doing' (another bout of rain, more snow, etc.)
I've only heard 'sending' with precipitation or wind storms, but not heat waves or cold snaps.
I suppose 'they' could send particular types of clouds, but would probably 'have' or 'do' an earthquake.

'Making' earthquakes might identify a writer as an adherent to the conspiracy theories about the old HAARP apparatus:
( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoY9CrH0mRc ) I have not watched this video, but I note that its description mentions weather as a human-controlled event or process: ('allow')

"The HAARP operators / weather controllers have finally made the decision to allow significant rain into California starting Sunday evening (Jan 3rd) and have disseminated this rainy weather forecast to the television weather outlets which have broadcast this information..."

- GLL

I just received the E-mail below from the National Weather Service.

The use of the word "products" just looks bizarre.