[Ads-l] Further Antedating of "Boondoggle"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 24 14:07:27 UTC 2016

I examine this question in the Atlantic Monthly about twenty years ago,
relying significantly on the LD article. The evidence suggested that Link
probably was the coiner of the term, at least as applied to braided
lanyards.

Fred's cites are nonetheless splendid.

Guy Kibbee's testimony adds up to nothing more than that crafts thought to
resemble Boy Scout boondoggles were frequently made in the Ozarks.  He
doesn't say that anyone ever used the word; nor was I able to find any exx.
it in that context, including in the works of the Ozark song, lore, and
lexicon collector Vance Randolph.

JL