[Ads-l] These/those ADJ of N_pl (Was Re: intrusive "of" intrudes further)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 26 04:14:42 UTC 2016

These sentences don't have all that much of oddness about them, if _that_
be preceded by _all_.

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 11:10 PM, Neal Whitman <nwhitman at ameritech.net>
wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Neal Whitman <nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET>
> Subject:      These/those ADJ of N_pl (Was Re: intrusive "of" intrudes
> further)

> To add to the mix, here are some COCA examples of (in Zwickyan
> terminology)...
>
> +of E(xceptional) D(egree) M(arking) with demonstrative determiner, with
> plural noun, without number agreement.
>
> Maybe the standard one doesn't have *_that_* *_big_* *_of_* *_pecs_*.
>
> You know, the news of the settlement didn't really make *_that_* *_big_*
> *_of_* *_headlines_* in the state, but it showed two things.
>
> Whenever Dignan came to visit me he would act like he and Swifty weren't
> *_that_* *_good_* *_of_* *_friends_*, but that was just to make me feel
> better.
>
> And we really before her didn't have *_that_* *_good_* *_of_* *_doctors_*.
>

> These examples aren't that remarkable (these aren't that remarkable of
> examples?) given what we've seen here before. The most relevant of
> Arnold's collection of posts is this one
> (http://arnoldzwicky.org/2012/04/12/innovative-edm/), where he discusses
> Jon Lighter's find "not that good a looking men". But I looked for them
> to find out how their numbers compared with similar examples with
> "these/those". Do they even exist? As it turns out, yes:
>
> +of EDM with demonstrative determiner, with plural noun, WITH number
> agreement
>
> *_These_* *_deep_* *_of_* *_lines_* in my cheeks ain't all due to hard
> wind and burnin' sun.
>
> And then we would go right over Afghanistan after that and the Taliban
> and stuff didn't -- wasn't known to have these -- *_those_*
> *_sophisticated_* *_of_* *_missiles_*.
>

> I found all of these examples by searching for "this|that|these|those
> [jj*] of [n_pl]", and these were all the examples I found.  I love the
> stumble as the speaker tries to figure out which demonstrative form to
> use in the last one.
>
> Neal
>
> On 12/29/2015 11:33 PM, Neal Whitman wrote:
> -----------------------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       Neal Whitman <nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET>
> > Subject:      Re: intrusive "of" intrudes further

> > And now, from my other, 17y.o. son:
> >
> >       [Incandescent light] is a lot warmer OF a light [than fluorescent].
> >
> > This sentence also brings in another syntactic peculiarity, i.e. how
> > something that means "A light that is A lot warmer" (2 indefinite
> > articles) is phrased with just one indefinite article, i.e. not "*an a
> > lot warmer (of) a light."
> >
> > Neal
> >

> > On 12/7/2015 6:07 PM, Neal Whitman wrote:
> >>  From "What if Will Smith had played Neo in /The Matrix/?",
> >> /Entertainment Weekly,/ #1393, Dec. 11, 2015, 6. 41:
> >>
> >> In a recent interview with /Wired,/ Smith admitted he would have
> [...]

-Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain