[Ads-l] more from chatting w/ costume historians re: "teddy" the undergarment

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Thu Jan 28 13:14:43 UTC 2016

What I'm noticing in the period ads (c.1915) that a couple of the
costume historians have sent me is that:

a) we have the appearance of the brassiere, but it's like a supportive
camisole with boning and goes down to the waist

b) over that is worn the corset, which is placed much lower than it was
in earlier eras: below the bust, and extends down over the abdomen and
hips, so it's also much longer. More like the modern girdle.

so, yes, there is a much straighter shape to the body. Verrry different
from the 1890s corset, which is still the main means of supporting the bust.

Bizarrely enough there were bust enhancers - ruffles to stick in to to
the brassiere or corset (I guess). This goes contra to my image of the
flat chest as the desirable look. (But I may be thinking more 20s there).

More than you ever wanted to know. Sorry.

And no, they haven't sent me any ads for "teddy bear combinations" yet . . .

---Amy West