[Ads-l] RES: "Paul Robinette" of _Law and Order_ speaks:

David Daniel dad at COARSECOURSES.COM
Fri Jan 29 11:34:31 UTC 2016

In my book, there's no doubt you are historical. Whether you are historic
may be for others to decide. :)
DAD (who knows there is sloppy crossover between the two but who believes
language should be as precise as possible and strives to make it so at
almost every opportunity)

-----Mensagem original-----
De: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] Em nome de Joel
Berson
Enviada em: sexta-feira, 29 de janeiro de 2016 03:39

Poster:       Joel Berson <berson at ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: "Paul Robinette" of _Law and Order_ speaks:
---

Apparently I'm older.=C2=A0 Whether I'm historical is for others to decide.

Joel

=20

Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2016 2:42 AM
 Subject: Re: [ADS-L] "Paul Robinette" of _Law and Order_ speaks:
  =20
> On Jan 27, 2016, at 9:59 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> Subject:=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 "Paul Robinette" of _Law and Order_ speaks:
>=20
> "She's not that good _of_ a liar."
>=20
> "Paul" - Richard Brooks, a native of Cleveland - is the original black
>gu=
> of L&O.

first thing: PR is an actor, reading lines from a script. for all we know, =
this is what the script writer gave him as a line, and any linguistic inter=
est it might have has nothing to do with PR's race or the place where he gr=
ew up.

it is true that actors sometimes alter the lines they were given to fit the=
system of their own variety. in this case, i tried to find out what the li=
ne was in the script, but to no avail. but the variant is of such great fre=
quency these days that it's quite likely it was in the script.

second thing: i've posted about this variant dozens of times on ADS-L and p=
osted about it repeatedly on my blog; an inventory of postings on my blog a=
bout EDM (with comments) can be found here:

http://arnoldzwicky.org/linguistics-notes/edm/

the historically older variant is what i've called -of EDM (Exceptional Deg=
ree Marking) -- in this case,

=C2=A0 She's not that good a liar.

(this is an answer to Benjamin Barrett's question about what the alternativ=
e is to the variant in Law & Order; Barrett is apparently a speaker of the =
now-standard variety in the US, with only (or predominantly) +of EDM.)

arnold

---
Este email foi escaneado pelo Avast antivírus.