[Ads-l] No nuthins

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Jan 30 21:39:20 UTC 2016

> On Jan 30, 2016, at 4:21 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> 2016 Ryan Lizza, in _New Yorker_ (Feb. 1) 45: Sarah Palin, the pre-Trump
> embodiment of populist no-nothingism in the Republican party.
>
> JL

Well, I sort of know what the Know-Nothing Party stood for, and arguably Palin and Trump are both heirs to that grand tradition.  But the No-Nothing Party would seem to suggest the Nihilists (Bakunin? Bazarov?  Dada? Derrida?) if you're into negative concord--or their opponents (anyone who believes in Something), especially those who are also grammatical prescriptivists.  Strange bedfellows all around.

LH