[Ads-l] Reflections/query on the term "glove compartment" (of a car)

Benjamin Barrett mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 31 22:11:34 UTC 2016

According to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glove_compartment), the BBC says the term was coined by Dorothy Levitt (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Levitt), a racing driver who lived from 1882 to 1922. That antedates it at least 17 years.

According to http://www.ehow.com/about_5683371_called-glove-box_.html <http://www.ehow.com/about_5683371_called-glove-box_.html>, the glove box is not well documented.

I tried looking the US Patent site, but text search is not possible before 1976.

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA