[Ads-l] "unforced error"

Sat Jul 2 04:14:12 UTC 2016

Merriam-Webster and Wiktionary have entries for "unforced error". No
early dates are given. The OED does not have an entry although
"unforced error" does appear in one of the example excerpts for
another word: sidle, n.

The 2013 article in "The New York Times" suggested a provenance via
"introduction in tennis three decades ago", i.e., circa 1983.

A sportswriter named George Currie in "The Brooklyn Daily Eagle" used
"unforced error" in the tennis domain in 1927 and 1929.

Newspaper: The Brooklyn Daily Eagle
Newspaper Location: Brooklyn, New York
Date: September 16, 1927
Article: Tennis Singles Become Anti-Climax As French Stars Drop Out:
Lacoste Is Sole Survivor As Frenchmen Gracefully Take Exit From
Tourney
Author: George Currie
Quote Page A3

[Begin excerpt]
Tilden, in disposing of Borotra, got all the breaks on decisions,
showed his temper once or twice and finally pulled that fatal third
set out of the fire more on Borotra's unforced errors than anything
else. The truth may as well be told. "Bill" has not played brilliant
tennis this week, with the exception of last Tuesday, against Berkeley
Bell.
[End excerpt]