[Ads-l] Oxymoron seen: "official bootleg"

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 3 13:34:32 UTC 2016

I don't know what it means in a comic book / manga context either, but I
wrote about some semantic shifts in the musical sense of "bootleg" in my
Wall St. Journal column a couple of years ago:

---
http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-history-of-bootlegs-from-smugglers-to-superstars-1414777742
In the rock era, “bootlegs” have most often been recordings of live
performances that artists have not officially released. Some groups, like
the Grateful Dead, sanctioned the taping of live shows, leading to
oxymoronic “authorized bootlegs.” And now [Bob] Dylan’s “Bootleg Series”
further salvages this sketchy word, giving it a respectable sheen.
---