[Ads-l] "shave ice" discovered by the Times (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mullins, Bill CIV (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Wed Jul 20 16:43:58 UTC 2016

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

Earlier still:

Honolulu _Evening Bulletin_ 21 Aug 1897 p 1 col 3

"The frequent call for cool drink at the Palama Grocery has induced us to set apart a window for the sale of cold drinks. Our milk shakes are delicious, nothing but pure fresh milk, shaved ice and the purest of flavoring syrup being used, which we sell at Celestial price, 5¢ per glass. H. Cannon, Palama Grocery, opposite Railway Depot, King Street"

(What is the reference to "Celestial price"?  To my way of thinking, the above is neither a milk shake, nor a classic Hawaiian shaved ice.  So . . . )

Honolulu _Sunday Advertiser_ 22 Apr 1906 p 13 col 1
""Snowballs," another of the native drinks, bring-- with them a delightful sensation of cooling breezes from our native shore, and on hearing the vender's cry we hurry to the gate and "beg you a glass" as is the custom here.  The cooling beverage is carried about the streets in a small hand cart covered with a roof, with bottles arranged around the open sides which  are filled with flavored syrups, a small quantity of which is poured into a glass filled with shaved ice."
(this quote is from an article about beverages from Jamaica)