[Ads-l] (On topic?) Donald's gesture while introducing Melania

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 22 13:50:07 UTC 2016

To bring this back on-topic, the term I most often see for this gesture is
"finger gun(s)." Not in OED or any other dictionary I checked, though it
merits a Wikipedia entry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finger_gun

A quick database check finds relevant examples back to the '60s ("Young
18-Yr. Burglar Captured With 'Finger Gun'," Philadelphia Tribune, Jan. 7,
1961, p. 11), though I don't know at what point the finger gun moved from
simply mimicking a handgun (a la Travis Bickle at the end of "Taxi Driver")
to the more approbatory Trump-style interpretation.