[Ads-l] "Elementary my dear Watson"

Sun Jul 24 15:47:00 UTC 2016

> It would be nice to find evidence of Gillette using the line in his 1899
> play, perhaps from a review. -- Christopher Philippo
> Is there a script available? Perhaps via Gillette Castle in CT? --- Amy
> West

Decades ago the Readex company released a set on Microprint called
*English and American Drama of the Nineteenth Century*.  As I recall, it
included unpublished playscripts -- might be worth checking.  It was
arranged by playwright, so if a writer other than Gilbert was credited,
that would be a complication.  I doubt that the collection was bought by
many libraries, and it is not one that has been digitized by Readex.

GAT

--
George A. Thompson
The Guy Who Still Looks Stuff Up in Books.